Top 10 Best Patio Heater Reviews UK 2019Compare The Top 10 Best Patio Heaters From Our Comparison Table Below
|1) Firefly 2KW Patio Heater||2) AmazonBasics Havana Bronze Patio Heater||3) AmazonBasics Commercial Patio Heater||4) Fire Mountain Pyramid Flame Patio Heater||5) Oypla 2KW Quartz Garden Patio Heater|
|Average User Rating||(4.5 / 5)||(4.4 / 5)||(4.3 / 5)||(4.6 / 5)||(4.3 / 5)|
|Height||174.5 - 210cm (Adjustable)||226cm||226cm||221cm||174.5 - 210cm (Adjustable)|
|Power Output (1000W = 1KW)||650W, 1350W or 2000W||46,000 BTU's||46,000 BTU's||9500W||650W, 1350W or 2000W|
|Heated Area||Up to 15m²||Up to 5.5m²||Up to 5.5m²||Provides heat in all directions||Up to 15m²|
|Indoor or Outdoor||Both||Outdoor||Outdoor||Outdoor||Both|
|Auto Cut Off Tilt Switch||N/A||Yes||Yes||Yes||N/A|
|Ignite Failure Safety||N/A||No||Yes||Yes||N/A|
|Regulator and Hose Included||N/A||Yes||Yes||Yes||N/A|
|Warranty||2 year||1 year||1 year||1 year||1 year|
|Price||**Check Price**||**Check Price**||**Check Price**||**Check Price**||**Check Price**|
|6) Firefly 2.1kW Tilting Freestanding Patio Heater||7) Palm Springs Rattan Wicker Patio Heater||8) Firefly Dual 3KW Waterproof Heater||9) Firefly 900W Streamline Rotating Heater||10) Firefly Electric Halogen 2.1KW Patio Heater|
|Average User Rating||(3.9 / 5)||(4.1 / 5)||(3.9 / 5)||(3.8 / 5)||(3.3 / 5)|
|Height||174 - 208cm (Adjustable)||218cm||Wall mountable (Screws included)||82cm||170 - 210cm (Adjustable)|
|Power Output (1000W = 1KW)||2100W||13KW||1500W & 3000W||450W & 900W||900W, 1200W & 2100W|
|Heated Area||Up to 9m²||Up to 16m²||Up to 12m²||Up to 4m²||Up to 9m²|
|Indoor or Outdoor||Both||Outdoor||Outdoor||Both||Both|
|Auto Cut Off Tilt Switch||N/A||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Ignite Failure Safety||N/A||No||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Regulator and Hose Included||N/A||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Warranty||2 year||1 year||2 year||2 year||2 year|
|Price||**Check Price**||**Check Price**||**Check Price**||**Check Price**||**Check Price**|
A Guide To The Best Patio Heaters
A garden patio heater provides heat and is usually used outdoors but some can be used indoors as well. Although patio heaters tends to be used more during the evening of a summer’s month, it doesn’t need to be limited to a summer’s month as it can be used all year round, if you fancy relaxing outside on a dry winter’s month and you got heating, why not? When deciding on what’s the best patio heater for your garden, consider the types of patio heaters first.
Despite being great for keeping you warm, you won’t be able to grill your food on one like you would on an outdoor chiminea! Yes, a chiminea is very efficient as it can do both, however, the style is not everyone’s cuppa tea. Most people opt for the classic charcoal barbecue grill to cook their food on and we don’t blame them.
Many people like to put an outdoor patio heater inside a pop up gazebo, but having a flame or electric element inside a gazebo can be a potential fire hazard. Gas patio heaters will be safer to use inside a gazebo, but please ensure the gazebo is well ventilated. Always double check with the manufacturer if you’re unsure.
Gas vs Electric Outdoor Heater
Patio heaters are either operated by gas or electric, our table above will show the best gas and best electric patio heaters. Below we’ve listed the advantages and disadvantages of each one so you can decide what one is more suitable for your garden.
Gas patio heater advantages:
- Not restricted to where you can place it.
- Generally covers a wider heated area.
- Great for heating up enclosed areas such as patios or outdoor bar areas.
- The radiant heat offers the same pleasant sensation as sitting in the sun.
- Can be used to heat garden gazebos.
Gas patio heater disadvantages:
- More expensive to run.
- Can only be used outdoors.
- Only comes in one type which is free standing.
Electric patio heater advantages:
- Cheaper to run.
- Comes in several different types such as: Wall mounted, ceiling mounted or free standing.
- Operates silently.
- The heat is unaffected by wind, unlike gas patio heaters.
- Relatively lightweight.
- Some can be used indoors as well.
Electric patio heater disadvantages:
- Must be near a mains socket, so limited to where you can place it.
- The heat is generally concentrated in one area so the area covered is not as wide as what a gas patio heater would cover.
How To Choose The Best Patio Heater
When you’re deciding which is the best outdoor heater to buy, understanding the features and functions may help you narrow down your selection. Below we’ve listed the features you should consider:
Type – The two main types are gas and electric, we’ve listed the pros and cons of each one above.
Height – Some free standing patio heaters will have an adjustable height which is very useful as you can lower the height if you’re sitting on a chair to bring the heat closer or make it higher if you’re standing.
Heated area – This is the size of the area the patio heater will provide heat to. Some don’t specify so only use it as a rough guideline.
Indoor or outdoor – Most people will buy a patio heater for outdoor use, but some electric patio heaters can also be used indoors which can be useful in situations where your home heating system has failed.
Gas patio heaters are purely for outdoor use only as it would be dangerous to use indoors.
Transport wheels – Having wheels makes it easier to transport the outdoor heater around, some can be quite heavy so would be quite awkward to carry if it doesn’t have transport wheels.
Auto cut off tilt switch – A safety feature where the flame will cut out if the gas patio heater tips over.
Ignite failure safety – If the flame failed to ignite then the gas is cut off for safety.
Cable length – Only electric patio heaters will plug into the mains, if the cable length is not long enough you may need an extension lead.
Weight – If the outdoor heater doesn’t weigh much then a strong gust of wind can potentially blow it over. Take extra caution if you’re using a lightweight outdoor heater in windy conditions, you can use slabs or other objects to ensure it doesn’t blow over.
Types of Patio Heaters:
Free standing patio heaters
Probably the most common, as the name suggests it conveniently stands up on its without the need for anything to help stabilise it. The height can be extended on some models, but most are at a fixed height which is usually high enough that most people wouldn’t bump their head on the top.
Free standing patio heater are typically made of 4 parts: Base, pole, heat source and reflector. The reflector is designed to prevent loss of heat upwards and instead reflects the heat back down to the surrounding area.
Tabletop patio heaters
Similar to a free standing patio heater but instead much smaller and it rests on top of a table or equivalent. Tabletop patio heaters does come in gas or electricity types.
Wall mounted patio heaters
Wall mounted patio heaters can be mounted to a wall or something sturdy, for your convenience they usually come with the screws and mount brackets required.
These tend to be lightweight and is ideal if you lack space, it is only operated by electricity and the heated area tends to be significantly less than what a free standing patio heater would cover.
Useful Related Products:
- Made from tough PVC backed polyester.
- Double sewn seams for extra strength.
- Protects against bird lime, sap and garden dirt.
- Protects against elements such as: Wind, rain, sun and frost.
Our Top 5 Best Patio Heater Reviews
1) Firefly 2kW Patio Heater
- Variable heat settings between 650W, 1350W or 2000W.
- Height adjustable to your preference.
- Can be used indoors or outdoors.
- Water resistant capabilities.
- Lightweight and portable only weighing 3.7kg.
- Low running costs.
Probably the best Firefly patio heater out there because of its low cost and practicality. Not only does it require a small upfront investment, the running costs are also lower than what it is for a gas patio heater. On average, you’ll pay just 14p per kW per hour! If you’re more about practicality then you can also bring this heater indoors and use it for the winter months too.
2) AmazonBasics Havana Bronze Commercial Patio Heater
- Impressive heat output of 46,000 BTUs.
- Quiet and soothing heat.
- Safety auto shut off tilt valve.
- Transportation wheels for easy mobility.
- Base can be filled with sand or water for extra stability.
- Sturdy construction with powder coated bronze finish.
Not only does it look pretty in your garden but it’s also effective at keeping you warm which is why this is our best gas patio heater. Furthermore, it’s a great piece of furniture for your garden that looks great on your patio, thanks to its bronze finish. Furthermore, it also comes in a stainless steel or slate grey finish.
Fill the base with water or sand to increase the weight of the heater, especially if there are children around, this will prevent it from falling over.
3) Fire Mountain Pyramid Living Flame Garden Gas Patio Heater
- Powerful 9500W output.
- Stunning design with a living flame inside a glass tube.
- Durable stainless steel and aluminium construction for greater durability.
- Variable temperature control to your preference.
- Easy ignition with the piezo battery ignition.
- Two hidden wheels at the back of the unit means it can be easily moved from one place to another.
Give your garden an appearance boost with this stunning gas patio heater. The living flame provides heat and light and gives that relaxing camp fire effect. No wonder why many restaurants chooses this style of patio heater for their outdoor dining area.
Despite having an anti-tip safety system which cuts off the gas if it’s tipped over, due to its structure it’s not easily tipped over unlike other typical gas patio heaters. Therefore, you can worry a little less if there are any children around.
4) Oypla Electrical Garden Patio Heater
- Adjust the heat setting to your preference up to 2000W.
- Height adjustable between 174.5 – 210cm.
- Head can be tilted at a 45 degree angle.
- Quartz tube heating element gives protection against overheating.
- 2 metre power cord for greater mobility.
- Waterproof IPX4 rated but not for rainy conditions.
Similar to the Firefly electric patio heater so you know it’s also going to tick most of the boxes. Enjoy the benefits of using this electric patio heater indoors or outdoors. In addition, you can adjust the heat setting to either 650W, 1350W or 2000W, therefore, you’re only using it on the maximum heat setting if it’s necessary.
5) Firefly 2.1kW Tilting Freestanding Patio Heater
- Clever tilting head design enables you to concentrate the heat in your direction.
- Powerful 2100W output.
- Lasts for up to 5000 hours before the golden tube heating element needs replacing.
- Adjust the height between 174 – 208cm.
- Made from aluminium alloy frame with stainless steel pole.
- Long 3m power cord for more flexibility.
The tilting head on this Firefly patio heater will ensure no heat gets wasted as you can tilt the head to project the heat in your direction. Although it’s more expensive than our number one best patio heater, the sleek design will ensure it’ll blend in with your furniture a lot better. If you’re on a tight budget, you’re probably better off sticking to the Firefly 2kW patio heater.